New or used equipment’s – best approach when purchasing microbrewery equipments
In India, the concept of microbrewery is in its early stages. That is why there are not much used equipments available at present. So, whenever we talk about used equipments we look at the equipment which are originally designed for other industries. It could be dairies, soft drink plants, etc., where only some of the processing equipments can be used. The other option is to import the used equipment from markets like China or East Europe.
Now let’s have a look at the new equipments. There are few provider/suppliers are available in India or you can look at some other countries also for suppliers. Before we invite the proposal from suppliers, we should be very clear and specific about our requirements with detailed specifications. The more we nail down the details, the less is the margin of error and fewer changes during the course of construction which will result in less extra charges.
Following are the set of points which should be considered while planning for microbrewery equipments:
- How many different Beers do you plan on brewing
- How many brews would you be comfortable brewing per week (One brew generally takes upto 8 hours)
- What will be the yearly capacity of microbrewery – It could be 200 Litres to 1000 Litres Beer per day.
- Space required for brewing equipments.
- What would be the outer finish of equipments – Stainless steel (It would be the cheapest and easiest to maintain), Copper expensive and hardest to maintain, but best looking) or Stainless steel with copper bands.
- Where and how to consider integrating some used equipment.
- Costing – equipments and its installation.
- Packaging – Bottles/cans and their sizes.
Please feel free to write me if you require any other information related to microbrewery equipments.